Monday, October 6, 2008

Inspirational Rossi has the look of a true champion

After crossing the finishing line in Japan last weekend I came across Valentino Rossi just sitting at his bike, taking in the applause of the crowd while the rest of the MotoGP pack went past him on the parade lap. I pulled up beside him and asked him a simple question: "Did you win?"

He gave me a look that was one of elation, satisfaction and relief - I knew then that this most incredible of riders had won the race and, in doing so, his fifth MotoGP world title and eighth overall.

I wanted to congratulate him properly but it's difficult to have a decent conversation when you've both got helmets on. Instead there was a handshake and a pat on the back - his achievement is phenomenal and I've got a hell of a lot of admiration for the guy.

See more

No comments: